- When you see lightning apply the 30-30 rule. Count the time until you hear thunder and if the time is 30 seconds or less, seek proper shelter promptly.
- If you can’t see the lightning and only hear thunder, seek shelter quickly.
- Get the players off the field and into cars. Do not seek shelter under a tree.
- You must wait one-half hour (the 30-30 rule) after the last lightning flash before returning to the field to play.
- Once you clear the players from the field, please do not send them back out to collect balls. You can collect equipment after the storm passes.
- Games abandoned due to lightning can be made up unless your BAYS division director determines the result is final.
Please see Massachusetts Youth Soccer Association’s web site for full details about weather safety including heat and cold index thresholds.
Last Updated on November 3, 2018 by ASC Registrar